Friday, October 29, 2010

5 Dream Halloween Costumes and Why I Can't Pull Them Off

There's no two ways about it, I LOVE Halloween. What I love so much about it is the costumes. I can certainly appreciate any excuse at all to go out in costume. So, I try to do something cool every year. Over the last few years I've done several very geeky costumes, including April O'Neill, Chun-Li, Tyrael (from Diablo II), Ashrah from Mortal Kombat, etc. This year will be no exception. However, everyone has costumes that they would love to do, but for whatever reason, just can't do. So here are my top 5 unlikely costumes, and why they just aren't happening anytime soon.

5. Nitara- Mortal Kombat



Mortal Kombat is my favorite (fighting) game franchise. And they have a lot of cool characters. Nitara is a vampire from a different realm that was introduced in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance.
Why I Can't Pull It Off: a couple of reasons 1) I couldn't build the wings and 2) it's way to skimpy. Now not only do I NOT look like that, it gets pretty cold around Halloween (we had a spattering of snow last night) and I would rather not freeze.
Likelihood of Doing this in the Future: Not likely


4. Blood Dragon Armor- Dragon Age Origins



Dragon Age Origins is a game I rented on a whim because the video store didn't have any copies of the game I went there looking for. And it blew me away. It has easily become one of the best games I have ever played. When I bought the game, I got a code to download this set of armor (and a similar set for Mass Effect 2).
Why I Can't Pull It Off: Armor building. I lack the skill, materials, and a place to build armor like this.
Likelihood of Doing This in the Future: If I could, I definitely would.



3. Big Daddy- Bioshock



Bioshock is another game I picked up somewhat on a whim and is also an amazing time. The game has such an intriguing atmosphere and setting that I can't help but enjoy it. It also has the Big Daddy, a tough character to beat for sure. And I have seen cosplay of this before, and it was amazing with an incredible photo shoot in an aquarium.
Why I Can't Pull It Off: I haven't the skills to build such a thing. That is far beyond me.
Likelihood of Doing it in the Future: Again, if I could, I would. For sure.



2. Red Sonja



What's not to like about Red Sonja? She's a woman that kicks ass, doesn't take shit from anyone, and carries a very large sword. She also dresses in a chainmail bikini.
Why I Can't Pull It Off: Did I not mention the chainmail bikini? Or the fact it's not unusual to have snow on Halloween here?
Likelihood of Doing it in the Future: Very, very unlikely


1. Odetta Holmes/Detta Walker/ Susannah Dean- The Dark Tower Series



Odetta Holmes and Detta Walker are two personalities of the same person who are drawn into Mid-World by the Gunslinger Roland Deschain. The two personalities confront each other and are melded into one: Susannah Dean, who accompanies Roland on his quest for the Dark Tower. And I love these books. So much.
Why I Can't Pull It Off: Susannah is an African-American woman who is missing her legs below the knee due to an accident. I'm, well... not.
Likelihood of Doing this in the Future: If I could get a wheelchair, darken my skin without being offensive, and hide my lower legs, sure.

Happy Halloween Everyone from all of us here at Coffee With the Cynic! And thanks for reading and watching our vids!

No comments:

Post a Comment