Friday, June 1, 2018

Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Funko Reviews: Dennis Nedry & Exclusive Ian Malcolm



     Good evening, ladies and gentlemen and welcome to another entry of Coffee With The Cynic.  Today, we are jumping back into looking at the Funko Pop Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary line, this time the Dennis Nedry and the exclusive injured or “sexy” Ian Malcolm figures.  I’ve already looked at the other figures in previous entries (you can find the links to those reviews to your right) so let’s jump right into these ones.


     First, we have Dennis Nedry, the saboteur of Jurassic Park.  Taking Nedry out of the box, he actually feels lighter than I would’ve expected him to be.  The other Funko humans have a bit of weight to them but Nedry feels lighter than what I remember the other ones being.  Weird.  Nothing immediately jumps out at me as far as paint errors or knicks go at first glance but let’s take a closer look.


     Holy crap, look at that badge!  I’ve mentioned Funko’s attention to detail before but I’m still taken aback by the detail put into Nedry’s ID badge.  It even has a glossy sheen to it to simulate the laminated plastic that covers the actual work badges.  Very, very nice indeed!


     The raincoat has a semi-gloss finish to it to simulate the waterproof material the coat in the film is made out of so points for that.  I’ve scoured around the figure and can only find a couple of itty bitty paint goofs, like this yellow dot on his hand instead of his coat.  This was only one of maybe five color goofs, the others being a couple of pale spots on his hair, a drop of yellow on his pants and the underside of his shoes aren’t entirely black.  All of these are so small and insignificant you wouldn’t even notice they were there if you didn’t already know.


     Of course, we can’t talk about Nedry without looking at the Barbasol can.  While the can does not actually say Barbasol (probably due to copyrights), the can itself does look more or less spot on to the can used to smuggle dinosaur embryos in the film.  It even sports a higher sheen to have it look more metallic.  To be completely honest, I think this may just be the best painted human Jurassic Park Funko I have reviewed so far but we do have another one to look at.


     Aw, yeah…sexy Malcolm.  I feel like we need to put this on while we talk about this figure.  As soon as it was announced that this was going to be a thing, I knew I needed to get it out of sheer absurdity.  Hell, Scholar wasn’t interested in getting the Jurassic Park Funkos but even she wanted one of these.  When it was announced that it was going to be a Target exclusive, I thought we were SOL since we don’t have Target here in Canada but fortunately, EB Games (known as Gamestop in the States) is distributing it up here.  I’ve bought three of these already: one for me, one for Scholar and one for a friend in Vegas who was having a helluva time tracking one down.  I’ve heard rumblings of EB cracking down on people ordering multiples of the exclusives and I don’t want to tempt fate and find myself blocked from ordering from their site so if you need help finding one, ask someone else.


     Looking at this one on closer inspection, I find that the hair is better painted than the regular Ian Malcolm Funko I have.  Nice solid black all around, no missed spots, I think the hair is a little shinier than the other one to have that sweaty, wet feel to it.


     This figure may not sport any chest hair the way his onscreen counterpart did but check out those abs!  This is just another example of me looking at something and thinking, “Jesus, I need to go back to the gym…”  The drop of blood on the left hand is a nice touch but I do see some paint goofs here.  It’s just a bit of the fleshtone bleeding onto his leather coat but if I see one, it’s only fair that I point it out, nitpick or not.


     For some reason, I thought the pants of the regular Malcolm had a glossy sheen to them but I checked and they don’t.  I’m fine with this because this lets the belt stand out on the leg here.  To be honest, it looks like there might be some paint goofs here (albeit nearly microscopic) but the blood drops make sense and any bleeding of the brown paint could easily pass off as crusted mud on his pants from laying on the ground in front of the Tyrannosaurus paddock.  I will let anyone know who hasn’t bought this yet that the legs aren’t level with one another so it feels more wobbly than expected.  Not a deal breaker because exclusive Jurassic Park item but again, just letting you know.

     Overall, really happy with these acquisitions.  There is just one more Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Funko to get but Ellie with the Jeep has not been released yet (although I have heard that it may have actually been cancelled).  I’ve seen on Facebook that the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Funkos are starting to hit shelves in some places but I’m not entirely sure how many of those (if any) I’ll end up getting because we have some projects at home that are taking priority so I have to be very conservative with my collecting this year.  Plus, I haven’t seen Fallen Kingdom yet and I don’t want to go too crazy on collecting the merchandise just in case if it isn’t any good.


     So folks, what do you think of these Funkos?  Are you thinking of grabbing them?  If you have them, what do you think about them?  Let me know down in the comments below.  As always folks, thank you so much for reading and if you like what you see on this blog, you be sure to nudge that “Follow” button and stay cynical!

     -The Cynic

No comments:

Post a Comment